So how many calories are found in ur favourite hawker foods? Let’s see..
- Fried Bee Hoon – 250 calories
- Roasted Chicken Rice – 607 calories
- Beef Hor Fun – 697 calories
- Popiah – 188 calories
- Char Kway Teow – 744 calories
- Hokkien Mee – 522 calories
- Lor Mee – 383 calories
- Egg Prata – 288 calories
You can actually get the info from this website created by Singapore’s Health Promotion Board. It contains all kinds of hawker food! Much more useful for us locals eh 😉
So the least evil of the above evil foods has to be..popiah.. or is popiah not considered sinful enough? Maybe Lor Mee then. 🙂 Beef Hor Fun is absolutely terrifyingly sinful ok – but it’s sooo nice isn’t it! Drenched in thick dark brown gravy, with slightly charred thick rice noodles and tender sliced beef.. Man. I’m drooling. That one dish alone can wipe out your whole target calorie intake for the day if you intend to lose weight! And what’s more, they are filled with unhealthy ingredients such as white rice/ white noodles i.e. high sugar content!
I eat fried beehoon with chicken wing and a big piece of fish nugget every Sunday morning, coupled with my homemade coffee with added Anlene powder. It’s my weekend comfort food which I will happily indulge in coz I don’t eat such food on weekdays (working in Marina Bay Financial Centre has made me stop eating out due to the HIGH costs!). So what do I eat on weekdays in the office? Here’s the menu:
- Home Sweet Farm granola with Almond milk (about 450 calories – healthier meal replacement – oatmeal makes us full longer)
- Raw Meal protein shake with Rice Milk (about 450 calories – healthiest meal replacement, no carbs at all!)
- instant noodles (maybe once every 2 weeks when the craving attacks 100 calories for mini-mug noodles, 400-500 calories for the usual cup noodles)
- instant miso soup (maybe 1-2 times every week – 30 calories)
I will be changing this ‘menu’ as soon as I finish my granola and almond milk. Will make sandwiches instead, with wholemeal bread, ham and cheese. Maybe make 2-3 sandwiches, for breakfast, lunch and teatime snack. But it means i gotta wake up earlier to prepare =_=
I can eat this forever and ever, don’t worry. I have tried this before 😉 I want to cut out oily and fried food as much as I can!